torsdag, august 18, 2011

Both Ways Open Jaws

I instantly loved the video of Too Insistent. Not only do I find Olivia Merilahti one of the most beautiful women alive, I am also drawn to the aesthetics of the video. That the song is good too, of course helps.

When I first heard The Dø's newest album, Both Ways Open Jaws, it was not as instant a hit with me as their first (though back then that was only true for the first half of the album). I was pretty sure it wouldn't turn out to be the great listen A Mouthful was, and still is. But after listening to it only once, before I went hiking a couple of weeks back, it seemed I was already somewhat hooked. When we got to Jotunheimen we were met with this piece of information: it has rained here since July 3rd. Less than an hour into the hike the refrain of Slippery Slope had already become the fitting soundtrack of the trip. The lyric is not very complex, but easy to remember, and in a song to meditate on while walking that is exactly what you need.

Slippery slippery slippery slippery slope

And so on and so forth.

The song, and its video, remind me of seeing them in concert. Unlike the first video, I am not very attracted to this one, it seems too directed, too imitated, but I know how amazing the Dø can be live. In October of 2008 I saw them at Blå in Oslo, after A Mouthful was released; a gigantic drum set dominated the stage, and they danced around it like it was a bonfire. A bonfire of beautiful noice. They made us dance, made us scream for more, and then they sat down, asked us to come closer, and sang gentle harmonies. Both Ways Open Jaws has the same range of noisy fun, clever lyrics, catchy melodies and gentle harmonies.

Come closer to the bonfire and set yourself down.


And get up for some bohemian dances!

And if you ever get the chance to see The Dø live, take it!

Ingen kommentarer: