mandag, juni 20, 2011

Andrew Bird

I think passion is very cool. In fact, it is on my top 1 list of things I like (though sharing first place with honesty). And Andrew Bird seems to be an extremely passionate guy who follows his desire to play music, and goes lenghts to be able to play what he wants. A part of passion, I think, is to understand what is needed to be able to do what you are passionate about (hey! That sounds like honesty!). Real passion overcomes most obstacles, like being one man and wanting to be a whole orchestra. And that's where you find Andrew Bird. No, this is where you find Andrew Bird: He's the one-man band that sounds better than most orchestras.

(btw: TED is made by and for people who are passionate about lots of different stuff. Check out their other videos as well!)

The last couple of months mr. Bird has been my go-to music whenever I don't know what to listen to, and when I am writing (which I usually do many hours a day) I need "background music". Andrew Bird is good for that too, but background doesn't do him justice. He is best enjoyed while I'm not working on something that requires my full attention. His lyrics are poetic adventures that make me contemplate abstract things. Goethe says: the highest to which man can attain is wonder; and if the prime phenomenon makes him wonder, let him be content; nothing higher can it give him, and nothing further should he seek for behind it; here is the limit. The songs of Andrew Bird creates a musical approach to a basic curiosity in me.

But they also make me laugh, and it the balance between the two that draws me to Andrew Bird's songs again and again. His melodies make me want to dance, cry and sing (or whistle) along. It's been years since I first started listening to him, but his music has so many layers that I never seem to get tired of it. To think that I didn't see him live when I had the chance in Oslo a couple of years ago (I was broke, but still); I think of that as the one concert that got away. He is said to be amazing live and I will not make the same mistake if I get another chance.

The observant reader will have noticed a sudden(?) change to English. Or maybe it seems natural, the title of the blog considered. The change comes mostly as a result of me spending more time abroad than in my home country Norway and I see myself traveling more in the coming year. So this is to brush up on my written English, as much as to write in a language more people understand. (If you want to correct my English, please email me: hannahvattum@gmail.com. Corrections are most welcome!) Though everyone understands the language of music it wouldn't be much use to write about music if I didn't think that me writing about it would make people more curious and open to listening whatever I'm posting. So I hope you feel open and curious, and now; listen!

Enjoy Andrew Bird!

Remember: There will be snacks!

2 kommentarer:

eie sa...

Good to have you back.
As a guesstimate I think I share 72% of your taste in music, so I'm looking foreward to enjoying three out of four upcoming posts.

Hanna Hvattum sa...

Good to have YOU back, eie!

I'll be writing about all sorts of things I like, not only music, but I think you share at lest 63% of my taste in everything, so you still have a lot of upcoming posts to look forward to!