søndag, juni 26, 2011

Blinking Lights and Other Revelations; like Things the Grandchildren Should Know

During the last weeks of writing, Eels have accompanied me many hours. He is a new acquaintance; one of the many artists I've probably heard of when I was younger, but never bothered listening to because too many others already had. I am the first to admit that being anti-everything when I was young (let's pretend it's something I've grown out of) made me lose out.

However, when I finally did make friends with Eels surprisingly it was first through literature, and not music.

Eels, or Mr. E, is also known as Mark Oliver Everett, and his life has been a turbulent one. To sum it up (you'll have to read the book for the gory details); death, schizophrenia, suicide, cancer, depression and plane crashes.
But it's not all bad! On the cover of his autobiography, Things The Grandchildren Should Know, it reads; "ROCK MUSIC! DEATH! CRAZY PEOPLE! LOVE!" And it's true, it's all there. Though the language is not the most eloquent, precise, nor playful I've had the pleasure of reading, the book is nothing less than a pageturner, and I have no problem strongly recommending it. What it lacks in language, the story, and also the structure, makes up for in abundance.

Mr. E's life story, and his take on life, is truly inspiring, and after finishing the book I was left with a strong curiosity about the music behind the man behind the book. As my first listen into Eels musical universe I chose the double album Blinking Lights and Other Revelations. His dark but humorous approach is as present in his lyrics as in the book, and listening to the music after reading about the making of it, it is obvious that the playfulness of the process is ubiquitous. Like it is with most things; the more I know about Mr. E 'the person' (open, curious, passionate, but also completely human with all his faults), the more I like Eels 'the music'.

Having both read the book and accompanied myself with his voice for many hours, Eels quickly came to feel like an old friend. When I hear the first notes of Blinking Lights (For Me) I cannot but tap my feet, and soon enough I am humming along to Railroad Man. Checkout Blues is as dark as the title reflects, still it's easy to sing along;

everyone is scared of me and I'm scared of me to
never know just what I'm gonna do


Dust of Ages makes me think of both eternity and the uncomfortable atmosphere in the house where only the son and the father who never talks are home (true story). I'm Going To Stop Pretending That I Didn't Break Your Heart is packed with self-knowledge discovered "too late", but still seems to bring a cleansing feeling;

you see i never thought enough of myself to realize
that losing me could mean something like the tears in your eyes

Ugly Love is to hoping that this (his) kind of love can be enough. And Hey Man (Now You're Really Living), and the song titled the same as the book; Things The Grandchildren Should Know, wraps it up nicely: By now, not only do I feel hopeful for Mr. E, I feel hopeful for myself and everyone else too.

Knowing Mr. E's life story makes the already so eloquent, precise, and playful lyrics (if not the best author, he sure got the song writing down) even better. Knowing where the darker lyrics come from help to make them more moving, the catharsis more complete. And when Mr. E is hopeful, after all he has lived through, why shouldn't we all be?

So in the end I'd like to say
That I'm a very thankful man
I tried to make the most of my situations
And enjoy what I had
I knew true love and I knew passion
And the difference between the two
And I had some regrets
But if I had to do it all again
Well, it's something I'd like to do

- Things The Grandchildren Should Know

Ingen kommentarer: